Friday, January 27, 2017

Welcome 2017!

This year will be epic! We're all getting married...I mean I am & it seems every time I turn around another couple we love is announcing their engagement. It's like I'm walking around in a cloud of bliss. I see the sadness that happens. I see the struggle our nation is feeling. I feel the pain that's out there. I feel the pain that is right here close to home. There's always a fine line where you walk on the edge of bliss & despair. You're genuinely happy and yet, as you start to tell someone your wedding plans your voice breaks & you need to take a breath before you can continue because while you are overjoyed, there will still be people who just cannot physically be there on your wedding day. Or ever. It sucks. You pause, take a breath, compose yourself & you are grateful that they loved you in such a way that you hold their memory dear & cherish the time you had with them. Then you continue on & you are that much more thankful for what you have, this love, this happily ever after that you have been granted, because it is a beautiful miracle.

This past weekend I didn't march, I didn't drown my sorrows or celebrate over this next guy in office. I sent good thoughts to the people whose beliefs & passion sent them into these marches, sorrows or celebrations. I hoped for their safety. I did celebrate though. I spent my time with my mama, sissy poo poo, nieceling & last but definitely not least my bestest bestie. After dinner we all met at our hotel, checked into our adjoining rooms & stayed up too late catching up on life because there are never enough hours in the day to get the amount of face time you desire from the ones you love. We made the most of our time. Didn't do much sleeping. Laughed & talked & laughed some more until our eyelids were too heavy. Then, after a brief nap time...less than 2 hours for some, we headed over to a wedding dress shopping event. At 5am. We left to go stand in line outside for the chance to possibly find the dress of my dreams for $150. Doors opened at 7am. We got in at 7:45, even though we were really close to the front of that line. It didn't take long to figure out they didn't have the dress for me.

We threw in the towel, put our heads together & made a new plan. Off to a bridal store. Maybe we can get in without an appointment if we show up before they open, so we did. And we were able to. After a brief wait in one of our cars, where we were serenaded by my nieceling's AMAZING singing voice, we went in, got a stylist & found a much better selection of wedding gowns. I dove in, shimmied out, tried on several, twirled in front of the mirror, fussed with trains & layers of tulle, dresses were brought to me, I thought I was NOT going to wear a white dress. My sissy picked a dress for me. It was white. I tried it. Spun, twirled, swirled, fluffed, posed, made a wish, rang a bell, took some pics with my ladies & brought home a wedding gown. I SAID "YES" TO MY WEDDING DRESS! 

What a weekend! It took me a whole Sunday to recover from Saturday. So I've checked something off the list. I have a dress. A dress, a venue & a long, long list of things to do.  I can't wait to do more. This might be the most fun to do list EVER! Who am I kidding? It is! Soon I will have a dress in my closet & an engagement ring on my finger...it's almost done at the jeweler! Here's to besties that have been around for decades, mamas, sisters, nieces, daughters who just couldn't be there, finding Mr. Right, wearing white when you were sure you wouldn't, black diamonds & LOVE! That's what it's all about!

💘 future Mrs. Varner

No comments:

Post a Comment